Born in Cape Town, Shen Winberg spent his early childhood between the African rhythms of rural Limpopo village, Mbhokota, and the high-flying sirens of Johannesburg. Shen picked up his guitar at the tender age of ten and, returning home to Cape Town, began his musical career.
His music is best described as an energetic and lyrical blend of soft rock and African eccentricity, with the unmistakable undercurrent of jazz. As a professional musician with a degree in music from the University of Cape Town, Shen adds the classic blues, Latin and jazz collections to his own original range of compositions.
Shen's career has already yielded some notable highlights: he played at Nelson Mandela's 90th Birthday Bash at the Ubuntu Festival in 2009 where he collaborated with the legendary Jimmy Dludlu. In the same year, in performed in front of international media at the 2010 FIFA World Cup press event and also played at the annual Loerie Awards Ceremony.
Shen is passionate about music and involves himself in charity projects, teaching music and helping other artists get started. When not performing or teaching, Shen can be found surfing, drawing or sitting in a coffee shop writing his next song. Shen Winberg is a name to watch in 2011, having recently released his first single 'City of Might'... we managed to catch up with the multi-talented muso and get his take on film with his Top Ten Movies.
"...it's a bar of awesomeness held too high for a mere human to reach [on Conan the Barbarian]"
I can't watch movies without...
- ...being naked on my couch. Not in any weird way, I just love being naked at home... but I suppose if I'm at the cinema, I can't watch movies without a friend or even better, a beautiful las. I don't do movies alone.
Which famous people share your birthday?
- CSI's Marg Helgenberger, Alexa Havins, Dianna Krall, Harry J .Lennix, Lisa Bonet, Todd Wall, Gemma Atkinson, Jannie du Plessis and Missi Pyle. (16 November)
What is the first film you remember watching?
- Conan the Barbarian with good old Arnold! Later on in life I was to learn the hard way that it's a bar of awesomeness held too high for a mere human to reach.
What's the worst movie you've ever seen?
- Twilight, and not because its popular to hate it. I had to watch it with my little sister and it's actually a waste of so many things. Time, energy, money, advert space, glitter... My sis woke me at the end so luckily I missed a good bit of it.
Which movies have made you tearful?
- Brother Bear all the way man. Man tears.
Who is the most famous movie star you've ever met?
- I always seem to meet famous musicians and not many movie stars... but a friend is working closely with Denzel and Ryan Reynolds in a movie in Cape Town now so maybe I should have sneaked in there before answering this question!
What's your favourite movie line?
- "I'll be back!" ...wow, who believed me there for a second? No, "Get that corn outta my face!" - Nacho Libre. Yes ladies, I'm deep like that.
Who would you choose to play you in your biopic?
- Ryan Reynolds. I dig his natural humour.
If you could produce a movie, what would it be about?
- A satirical comedy about musicians and what they get up to!
Finally, your top ten movies of all-time...
- The Big Lebowski ...the humour in the seriousness of a rug!
- The Matrix ...the epic reality bending that kind of sparked the genre.
- Nacho Libre ...Jack Black just gets me.
- Spider-Man ...my favourite superhero so not much explanation there! I also love how he reveals himself to his loved one.
- City of Angels ...(I know, I know - forgive me) Cage's acting is my favourite.
- Lord of War ...again, Cage you rock star!
- Toy Story ...simply the best animation storyline.
- The Hangover ...reminds me of my usual weekend.
- Aladdin ...the fairy tale about getting the girl. Many happy childhood memories!
- Austin Powers ...the most I've hurt whilst laughing in a film!
Shen Winberg: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Top Ten Movies with... is a people series on SPL!NG, featuring a host of celebrities ranging from up-and-coming to established personalities from all industries including, but not limited to: Internet, Radio, TV, Film, Music, Art and Entrepreneurs. It's a chance to discover who they are, find out where they're at and to get a fun inside look at their taste in movies.