Grant Hinds describes himself as a "professional geek", turning his love for tech and video games into a job many would happily trade their gamepad thumbs for. For a cool story until now... check out his Draw My Life video. From presenting GameState, a popular online show on Zoopy... the exuberant video game kingpin has steadily grown his video game empire to include regular TV appearances on the morning show, Expresso, and The Tech Report.
While presenting on TV, his credits also extend to radio as a DJ at Good Hope FM and print, having been published by Men's Health, FHM, NAG, Maxim and GQ. Hinds also has a considerable following online, having written for iAfrica.com, LazyGamer.net, IGN Africa and Game Zone.
When he's not broadcasting offline, the video game rock star is generating fresh video game content on his YouTube channel. He's living the dream, currently rocking the UK. We know his taste in video games, but what about film? We were excited to get his Top Ten Movies interview...
"Had a chat with [Terry Crews]... and he was rather inspirational."
I can't watch movies without...
- My iPad. I know it’s terrible but it means I can browse IMDB or learn a little bit more about the film I’m watching!
Which famous people share your birthday?
- Honoured to share my birthday with John Wayne and Miles Davis. (26 May)
What is the first film you remember watching?
- I’m not sure hey, but the first film that really made an impact on me was The Land Before Time. It was incredible and still is. Rewatched it the other day.
What's the worst movie you've ever seen?
- Dude, Where’s My Car? has got to be on the top of that list.
Which movies have made you tearful?
- I cried right through The Land Before Time. From beginning to end. And I’m an adult.
Who is the most famous movie star you've ever met?
- Probably Terry Crews. Had a chat with him before Expresso one morning and he was rather inspirational.
What's your favourite movie line?
- "IT TOOK ME LIKE THREE HOURS TO FINISH THE SHADING ON YOUR UPPERLIP!" ~ Napoleon Dynamite
Who would you choose to play you in your biopic?
- Ben Stiller. If I had a choice. Perhaps Leslie Nielsen, God rest his soul. But most likely would have to be Elijah Wood. I’d let my Producer decide.
If you could produce a movie, what would it be about?
- That's actually a very hard question. I like stories with intrigue and interesting characters so usually the subject matter is superfluous to that. Meh, who am I kidding, ANOTHER JURASSIC PARK MOVIE, BABY!
Finally, your top ten movies of all-time...
- Jurassic Park ...the greatest film of all time. The perfect marriage of science with fiction. Also, it had dinosaurs, which is generally awesome.
- District 9 ...I loved the aesthetic, and the fact that Neill Blomkamp was actually saying something.
- The Dark Knight ...Christopher Nolan’s best Batman film. Insane direction and tone.
- True Grit ...I seldom like the Western visual treatment but I was totally sucked into this one.
- Up ...moving, funny, perfect in just about every way an animated film can be.
- Airplane! ...again, possibly the greatest spoof of all time.
- The Land Before Time ...dinosaurs, I was a kid. I cried a lot.
- Gladiator ...the finest Ridley Scott film of all time.
- District 9 ... so proud of Neill Blomkamp. Although I have never met him, I think the world of this film.
- The Naked Gun ...because.
- Top Secret ...utter genius. David Zucker knows how it's done.
Top Ten Movies with... is a people series on SPL!NG, featuring a host of celebrities ranging from up-and-coming to established personalities from all industries including, but not limited to: Internet, Radio, TV, Film, Music, Art and Entrepreneurs. It's a chance to discover who they are, find out where they're at and to get a fun inside look at their taste in movies.