If you're looking for someone, who you could call "Mr. Radio"... Ian Bredenkamp is your man. Bredenkamp studied at Stellenbosch University, where he fell in love with radio at Matie FM 92.6. Since the bug bit, the self-proclaimed "music man" has turned his passion into a career. Gaining experience as the programming manager, marketing & PR manager and breakfast show DJ in his varsity days, he decided to follow lifelong hero and SA radio legend, Alex Jay, by moving into commercial radio.
Starting as a news reporter, anchor and prime time producer at 94.5 Kfm, it wasn't long before he became programming manager and 9-12 morning show presenter, overseeing the content and schedules at the no. 1 hit station. Ian's been heard on Talk Radio 702, 94.5 Kfm, 567 Cape Talk, P4 Radio (now Heart 104.9), Matie FM, Bush Radio, Radio CFlat and Rhodes Music Radio. He's all about the music, able to answer just about any music-related question you throw at him... and has been around since the first Nirvana mix tape was played on the Arc.
With more than 15 years in the media game, he was part of the development team of LeadSA and also founded media entertainment PR company, IBMedia. We were lucky to grab an interview with multi-talented and versatile Bredenkamp, whose Top Ten movie selection just emphasises his first love, music!
"I'd make a movie about rock 'n roll baby!"
I can't watch movies without...
- Popcorn and Coke Lite. It's easy to meet this wish at the cinema but a lot harder at home. It's also really bad for my waist line so an all-round bad idea!
Which famous people share your birthday?
- Mick Jagger is the day before me and Madonna and I are together. There’s some serious peer pressure to perform and excel! (16 Aug)
What is the first film you remember watching?
- The first movie I saw was E.T. The Extra Terrestrial from the backseat of my parent's station wagon at the Pietermaritzburg drive-in. I was 6 or 7 years old and was terrified! I kakked my pants right the way through.
What's the worst movie you've ever seen?
- Pretty much anything starring Katherine Heigl.
Which movies have made you tearful?
- I cry easily, so it doesn't take much.
Who is the most famous movie star you've ever met?
- Hell, I've been lucky with this. I work in radio so I've interviewed plenty of famous movie stars. I met Samuel L Jackson in his hotel room, I brushed my leg against Juliette Binoche at a press junket and I interviewed Patrick Swayze on the set of King Solomon’s Mines. Many more...
What's your favourite movie line?
- "Hoo-ah!" ~ Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman
Who would you choose to play you in your biopic?
- Kevin Spacey with botox.
If you could produce a movie, what would it be about?
- I'd make a movie about rock 'n roll baby!
Finally, your top ten movies of all-time...
- The 3 Amigos ...I was 10 when this came out. We had a pirated version and I honest to God watched it a 1000 times on VHS!
- The Empire Strikes Back ...c'mon, this is the best of them all!
- Casino ...The Rolling Stones are peppered throughout the soundtrack. There's blood & guns - it just kicks ass!
- Ray ...first and foremost, I'm a music man. Jamie Foxx nailed Ray!
- The Doors ...this movie laid the way for a lifelong relationship I've had with Jim Morrison xxx
- Wayne's World ...best soundtrack ever, right?
- Platoon ...another great soundtrack movie. Creedence Clearwater Revival and gun grease. Excellent!
- Django Unchained ...this movie is full of gut-wrenching surprises.
- The Godfather ...Brando and De Niro made us all want to become Sicilian.
- The Blues Brothers ...a movie with Aretha Franklin? Sign me up!
Top Ten Movies with... is a people series on SPL!NG, featuring a host of celebrities ranging from up-and-coming to established personalities from all industries including, but not limited to: Internet, Radio, TV, Film, Music, Art and Entrepreneurs. It's a chance to discover who they are, find out where they're at and to get a fun inside look at their taste in movies.